Health and Family Welfare Department , Purulia
LEPROSY MISSION, Purulia (Home & Hospital)
A German Missionary Rev Henry Uffman founded the leprosy Mission Hospital, Purulia - formerly Mission to Lepers in the year 1888. Rev Uffman was a Missionary of Gossner Evangelical Lutheran Mission.
At the very beginning, the hospital was started as Asylum at the southern part of Bhatbandh Christian Burial ground. Afterwards it was shifted to the present place. Since then thousands of leprosy patients as well as general patients are taking medical benefits from the hospital.
- At present the number of hospital beds are 150 (Leprosy 139, General 11)
- Right now hospital has no Ambulance facility.
- Oxygen facility is available.
- There is a well set up physiotherapy Unit, Pathological Laboratory, special footwear, Artificial Limb Centre, X-ray Unit, Ophthalmology Unit to give modem supporting treatment to the leprosy patient.
- At present there are 6 doctors including 4 specialist (Surgeon, Physician Gynecologist, Ophthalmologist and Orthopedic (Hon) available in the hospital
- Other programme is Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR).
Office Phone No. (+91)(03252)-222492, 223184 Fax: (+91)(03252)-222501
(Source: C.M.O.H Purulia)