Collection of Excise Revenue & prevention of illicit trafficking of intoxicants under the Bengal Excise Act, 1909 and drugs under Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Rules under the NDPS Act, 1985 are the two main objectives of Excise department through a wide range of other activities. The department is now looked into by the following Officers :
- Collector of Excise, Purulia (District Magistrate, Purulia)
Tel: 03252 – 222302, Fax: 03252 – 222490,
- Superintendent of Excise, Purulia
03252-222497(Office & Fax)
The Excise Department is concerned with the administration of the following Acts and rules framed there under-
- The Bengal Excise Act, 1909(Ben. Act V of 1909)
- The Narcotic Drug and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985(Central Act 61 of 1985)
- The Medicinal and Toilet Preparations (Excise Duties) Act, 1955 (Central Act 60 of 1955)
- The West Bengal Molasses Control Act, 1973 (W.B. Act VI of 1973)
Important Government Notification
- No. 800-EX dt. 29.07.2003.- This is called selection of new site and grant of license for
(retail sale of spirit and certain other intoxicants) Rules, 1993 as amended.
- No. 364-EX dt. 23.07.1998 as amended- The West Bengal Excise (Foreign Liquor)
District Magistrate Acts as the Collector of Excise of this district.
Superintendent of Excise who has the jurisdiction all over the district, acts as the Technical Advisor to the Collector.
Superintendent of Excise is assisted by the following officers who work in subordination to him.
- The Addl. Superintendent of Excise
- The Dy. Excise Collectors
- The Officer-in-charge
- The Asstt. Sub-Inspector of Excise
- Excise Constables & Lady Excise Constable & 8 (eight) office assistant, two Group “D” staff. (including one night guard)
(Source: Superintendent of Excise, Purulia)